All Cars Must be Newly Created or Unraced
Length, Width and Clearance
- The maximum overall width (including wheels and axles) shall not exceed 2-3/4 inches.
- The minimum width between the wheels shall be 1-3/4 inches so the car will clear the center guide strip on the track.
- The minimum clearance between the bottom of the car and the track surface shall be 3/8 inch so the car will clear the center guide strip on the track.
- The maximum overall length shall not exceed 7 inches.
- The wheel-base (distance between the front and rear axles) need to be between 4-1/4 inches and 4-5/8 inches
Weight and Appearance
- Weight shall not exceed 5.00 ounces. The reading of the official scale will be considered final. The car may be hollowed out and built up to the maximum weight by the addition of wood or metal only, provided the material is securely built into the body or firmly affixed to it. No liquids or loose materials of any kind are permitted in or on the car.
- Details such as steering wheel, driver, spoiler, decals, painting and interior details are permissible as long as these details do not exceed the maximum length, width or weight specifications and are securely fastened.
- Cars with wet paint will not be accepted.
Body, Wheels and Axles
- Axles and wheels shall be only as provided in the Official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby Kit.
- You MUST use the block of wood provided. Purchasing pre-made bodies is NOT ALLOWED.
- Wheels may be lightly sanded to smooth out molding imperfections on the tread area. This light sanding is the only modification allowed. Beveling, tapering, thin sanding, wafering or lathe turning of the wheels is prohibited.
- Axles may not be altered in any way except for polishing or removing burrs.
- Wheel bearings, washers, bushings, and hub caps are prohibited.
- The car shall not ride on any type of springs.
- The car must be free-wheeling, with no starting device or other type of propulsion.
- All cars must have four wheels. Three of the wheels must be touching the track surface at all times.
- No alteration, narrowing, lathe cutting, or re-shaping of wheels (inside or outside) is allowed. Light sanding of wheel treads to remove irregularities is permissible. Minimum wheel diameter allowable is 1.180 inches. (most wheels measure between 1.195 to 1.200 inches) No covers, stickers, or hubcaps will be allowed over the wheels or axles. The axle head must be visible. The serrated edges of the wheel treads must remain visible.